There are a number of resources about the history of the Hobart Synagogue and Jews in Tasmania. For a comprehensive catalogue of items, please view the Hobart Hebrew Congregation Digital Archives.
Alternatively, here is a general overview of resources:
- General Interest
- The Convict Synagogue at the End of the World in Tablet Magazine, an analysis of the history of the synagogue from an American writer who visited in 2014.
- Hobart – High On The List Down Under, published in both the Jewish Chronicle (2012) and the Jerusalem Post (2014), a feature from Rabbi Raymond Apple.
- Tasmania is home to Australia’s oldest synagogue, a 2006 profile of the Hobart Synagogue in the Canadian Jewish News. Reprinted with permission.
- Judah Solomon and the Building of the Hobart Synagogue, published in 2013 in Tasmanian Geographic, a detailed view of the early history of the synagogue, with some wonderful photos.
- The Torah in Tasmania, from Australian Geographic in 2007, an exploration of the history of Jews in Tasmania, with some details of the synagogue.
- Finding Jewish Remains in Tasmania, Jewish Telegraphic Agency, 2002. An article about moving the remains of the old Harrington Street Jewish Cemetery.
- History and Research Material