We are delighted to offer tours of the Hobart Synagogue.
Curious visitors worldwide and local join us to learn about the remarkable history of our congregation and Judaism in Tasmania, and to view the unique architecture
and artefacts in the 1845 building.
Due to the COVID-19 virus, we are limiting tours to twenty attendees (except for schools). Please do not attend if you are feeling unwell, and please follow physical distancing guidelines.
We also ask that all tour attendees complete a visitor register with contact details, for contact tracing purposes.
General tour information
- You may request a new tour, or join an existing tour already scheduled.
- Our volunteer guides ask for 48 hours advance notice for a new tour request.
- There is no fixed charge for tours.
- However, your donation to the congregation will be invited and received with gratitude. We will also gladly accept money in your local currency.
- Tours are available from 10 am and there are no tours on Saturday (the Jewish Sabbath) or on Jewish holidays.
- Tours last approximately an hour.
- We’re very happy to accommodate school tours to meet curricular requirements.
How To Book A Tour
Please use this form to book a tour. You will have the opportunity to indicate if you’d like a new tour, or to join an existing tour.
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- The history of Jews in Hobart from the beginning of European settlement to the present.
- A number of artefacts including an original ticket to the opening in 1845, and our convict benches.
- The architecture of the building, including an opportunity to see many of its features, most of which are original.
- The significance of the synagogue’s location.
- A discussion on the origins of the Czech scroll that is on display in the synagogue.
If you’d like to read independent reviews of our tours, the TripAdvisor page for the Hobart Synagogue has many reviews left by previous tour attendees.